Wednesday 24 June 2009

I'm the new slick rick

Hello!

So fashion related posts from yours truely have been a little thin on the ground recently as I have been so busy with work and just so exhausted that I really haven't got round to blogging. I've been thinking about the blog and I think i'm gonna change the name as I rarely post anything fashion related, and i'm not dedicated enough to post pictures of myself in outfits as on a normal working day i'm just in jeans and a tshirt as I need to be comfy for my job! So really by calling the blog 'The Ramblings of a Trainee Fashion Journalist' is kind of giving off the assumption that the blog is all about fashion, or at least fashion journalism, which it really isn't! It seems to be mainly just me rambling (as i am now) about my pretty boring life!

I think the issue is that although I love fashion and have been studying it for the past two years (prior to fash journalism i studied design) i find it really hard to stay on top of everything that is going on in the industry, and would never be able to keep up to date as, say, someone like Susie Bubble, who has the most fantastic fashion knowledge and the dedication to her readers.

I love the IDEA of fashion, I love clothes and I love the image one can create by using them. I think that my disinterest in keeping up with trends and designers is really going be a problem in my chosen career, as I would much rather look at how people on the street dress than see how designers dress their models, in clothes I couldn't possibly afford. I don't know if that sounds totally ignorant, but I find it hard to be a dedicated follower of any one designer when I couldn't even begin to afford their pieces (expecially not on £6 an hour anyway!) Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Luella Bartley and would happily sell all my wardrobe for her S/S 08 collection (still my favourite) and all her collections since then, but I find it
hard to keep track of everything else that is happening in the fashion bubble, and even if i did, I think it would feel like a chore if anything!

I think maybe exposing oneself to fashion is the best way to become more involved and excited by it, how it evolves and what the seasons bring. I think the problem is that since leaving London I have had little involvment with the industry, and went straight from being at LCF, working with fashion obsessives and learning from stylists, designers and photographers, and really emersing myself in that creative bubble, to living in Southampton, toning my style of dressing down a bit to be more student-y and finding myself lacking in the time or the energy to keep up to date with the lastest news and goings-on in the industry.

This is not an excuse - I know that the power of the internet means that you can live in the Amazon and feel as though you are in any given fashion capital, but when you take yourself out of that sphere and meet other people, and concentrate on other things, (until this term I was studying Journalism, not Fashion Journalism, and it couldn't have been more dull, or exausting) I think it makes the whole thing more difficult.

Saying all of this, I don't believe that you need to know everything about each designer, or every trend on the catwalk, to call yourself a 'fashion follower', as, at the end of the day, fashion is constantly evolving and changing, and while trends come and go and designers weave in and out of the public eye, the idea of fashion and the wealth of inspiration it can create will never change, and this makes me feel a little bit better about slacking off!

No comments:

Post a Comment